RGP Contact Lenses for Keratoconus
Mild to moderate keratoconus is best corrected with rigid gas permeable contact lenses, which provide a smooth surface in front of the cornea, making clear vision possible. Because the lens is rigid, the tears between the lens and the cornea form a ‘liquid lens,’ which smoothes the irregularities of the cornea and makes clear vision possible again. Soft lenses, which ‘wrap’ onto the cornea and take up its shape much more closely than rigid lenses, are less successful at correcting keratoconus.
Unlike traditional contact lenses, the complex geometry built into the custom gas permeable lenses, closely mimic the cone-like shape of the cornea for every stage of the condition. The use of sophisticated computer-controlled lathes, along with enhanced breathable materials enhance the comfort and vision potential.
Rose-K ® lenses for Keratoconus:
There are several characteristics that make the Rose K lens ideal for correcting vision in keratoconus, irregular cornea diseases and disorders. The result is a lens that fits very well over an irregular eye, leading to clear and comfortable vision.
- A complex geometry capable of accounting for the irregular shape of the cornea in all stages of keratoconus. Whether the condition is mild or advanced, Rose K lenses can provide powerful vision correction.
- A smart design process that uses complex computer operations and special digital lathes to craft each lens. The computer-controlled lathes carefully cut the lenses—made of oxygen permeable polymers—to the perfect shape to suit the patient.
- The option for customization. Rose K lenses can be custom-designed for any eye. By matching the specific corneal irregularities of the patient, Rose K lenses can reliably correct astigmatism and refractive error (be it myopia or hyperopia) associated with keratoconus.
- A highly breathable design. The polymers used for Rose K lenses allow oxygen to penetrate directly through the lenses. This design keeps the eye healthy while ensuring all-day comfort for the patient.
- Their ease of use. Rose K lenses are easy to insert, remove, clean and care for.
KBA Keratoconus lens®:
This revolutionary lens design employs a high aspheric back surface throughout the posterior side of the lens to best align with the high asphericities seen in the keratoconic and abnormal eye. Then the front surface includes a compensating asphere to neutralize the high eccentricity on the back and create sharp vision for patients.
Well that sounds complicated! (KBA) actually stands for Keratoconus-Bi-Aspheric. This is an advanced corneal RGP lens design with patented technology to create a fully customized lens for the most challenging eye.